Thursday, June 20, 2013

The car has arrived!



Woo Hoo! It's arrived!

 The newest addition to the family was dropped off after the trip down from the Bay Area.  I was at the office, so my wonderful wife took care of the details as far as paying for the transport costs and telling the guy where to place the car in the driveway.

No pictures today and probably none tomorrow as well.  I need to rearrange the garage and take some "stuff" to storage to give me room in the garage to work on the car.  I will save the in person assessment to go along with the pictures I take this weekend.

I do have a list of tasks that I put together the other night as I was waiting for the car to arrive.  Things I will do before I actually put it on the road for a drive.

The list goes like this;

  1. Tune up including adjust and balance carbs.
  2. Drain and replace oil and filter.
  3. Radiator flush and new coolant.
  4. Check all drive belts and replace as needed, may just replace on GP (General Principle)
  5. Check front and rear wheel bearings.
  6. Inspect brake lines and e-brake cable.
  7. Check brakes front and rear.
  8. Check trans and diff oil levels, add as necessary.
  9. Check suspension bushing condition.

Most of this I can do myself and have the tools for it.  Many years ago my Dad had a car repair shop and I worked for him for a year.  I had the opportunity to learn from some of his years of knowledge, but doing it as a career was not a goal.  I enjoy the tinkering aspect and fixing things on my own schedule.  I will probably farm out the carb adjustment and balance, I could never get the hang of the Strombergs.  My Dad had the knack for them and he never had any problems getting them to work beautifully together, even when using that crappy UniSync.

I will also have to build a frame to store the hardtop, get some new seats (more on that with the pictures) and get a replacement soft top frame and top.

I'll add a few other tidbits just from the first quick look at the car. First, I think it's still in the original Mimosa Yellow, I can see a spot where the paint had worn through to the primer.  Looks like the previous owner drove with his arm out the window or something like that because of the wear pattern. But it's really faded and the paint is in poor condition as well as the really stupid spray can paint job in some areas.

With few exceptions, soft top frame being a big one, everything else seems to be there.  The obligatory box of stuff was in the trunk, but not a big box, the car will need all of the rubber replaced everywhere it appears and I think I'll leave it at that for today.

So, pictures this weekend, hopefully Saturday, for sure by Sunday, and the beginning of the list of improvements.  Going to start with a few simple ones to get back into the tinkering routine.

More to come . . . .

0 comments:

Post a Comment